I am just loving SteamPunk (not yet ClockPunk although I hear this is coming to the fore – as I haven’t read any – I think, but new terminology…).
My reasons for loving SteamPunk are varied but – in the novels I have been reading, especially Anne Renwick, there are
- Heroines that defy societal norms and coincidentally,
- Are also great scientists/engineers/doctors. etc
- But also, partly because of the words used in them to describe concepts and inventions:
Acousticocept for instance which clearly starts as:
Acoustic – being the science of sound
CoCept – being concept without the ‘n’.
Newarachnid / Amatiflora / Phaoscope / Myotech
4. Also because they reference Babbage – one of my heroes
5. Lady Ada Lovelace – he great mathematician and first computer programmer.
6. And the goth fashion is also great too. Not tat i would wear it myself but I do love the look of it.
There is a great website dedicated to steampunk (.co.uk) which explains the literature, fashion, art and design and some authors to read. If the style of literature is new to you, then do and look at it for inspiration. apparently even the great houses of couture such as Versace have referenced steampunk in their collections.
FOr me, Anne Renwick writes one of the best set of tales set in steampunk and there are quite a lot to choose from. I like her style of writing and her characters seem genuine and possible.