- Can you tell your readers something about why you chose this particular topic to write about? What appealed to you about it? Why do you think it is different and your approach is unique?
I love action/adventure movies and I love romance novels, but as a reader, it was difficult to find books that blended the two. Everything I’ve ever written has had elements of both adventure and romance. Before I was published, I used to write Historical Romance with elements of adventure. When I went to grad school, I decided to challenge myself to write something contemporary, and I’ve always wanted to write a book inspired by one of my favorite movies “Romancing the Stone.” That’s how The Key West Escape Series came about.
Passion Punch, and The Key West Escape Series, is considered to be Romantic Adventure, which falls under the umbrella of Romantic Suspense. It’s a little different though because Romantic Adventure is lighter and funnier than traditional romantic suspense, but it’s still filled with lots of action and suspenseful elements. I’d like to think of my books as action/adventure movies in book form written for women.
- Did you need to self-publish on e-books before a publisher took you up?
I have never self-published. I was lucky enough to be signed for a three-book contract when my publisher accepted my first book. Books 2 and 3 weren’t written yet, so I felt a little pressure to deliver something as good as the first book, but I’m really happy with the way the series turned out, and I love my publisher Firefly Hill Press.
- What is your favourite genre?
I enjoy reading romantic suspense, paranormal, and historical romance.
- If you could recommend a living author – who would it be?
I would recommend Diana Gabaldon. I adore her and the Outlander series.
- Which author had the most influence on your writing? Your writing style? Your writing genre?
JR Ward has had the most influence on my writing style. After a contest judge told me early on in my career that my writing style was ordinary and boring, I realized that maybe she was right. I decided to study some of the authors I admired, and I was draw to Black Dagger Brotherhood series. I loved the rawness of Ward’s style. While I didn’t want to copy her, I realized I could punch up my own voice in similar ways, and that’s how I approached Rum Runner, my first published novel, and the first book in The Key West Escape Series.
- In your opinion who is the funniest author now writing?
My books are quite funny. I hope you’ll check them out. 🙂
- Do you have any pets? Yes.
- If so, what are they? I have a two-year-old tabby cat. I rescued him from an animal shelter a few months ago.
- And what are they called? Finnegan
- Do they help you write? Finnegan like to walk across my keyboard and add extra letters to my words, so I guess he’s trying to help.
- What is the funniest thing they have done while you are writing? He rolled off his cat tower. I was sitting on the couch writing when I caught this out of the corner of my eye. I reached my hand out with ninja-quick reflexes I didn’t know I possessed and caught him just in time to break his fall. He was fine. He’s just really clumsy.
- Do you want to add a photo of them to this Q&A? [please add a separate file, not embedded into document] I don’t have a good photo of Finnegan yet, because he always looks p*ssed off. I think he hates having his picture taken.
- If you could be any fictional character, which would you be? And why?
Claire Fraser. Why? Two words: Jamie Fraser. 😉
- If you could choose to live in another country/town – which would you choose? And why?
I’m in love with Scotland. I’ve been there five times, and I would love to move to Glasgow, in particular. The vibrant city has the perfect blend of old and new. Great people. Great pubs and restaurants. Art and culture. And I love the Glaswegian accent.
- What would you take on a desert island to read if you could only take 3 books?
Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
Lover Awakened by JR Ward
A Kingdom of Dreams by Judith McNaught
Thank you so much for having me on your blog. I hope you enjoy Passion Punch, (Book 3 of The Key West Escape Series.)
~ Tricia Leedom
TRICIA LEEDOM enjoys traveling to exotic destinations and having torrid love affairs with hot, dangerous men… even if it’s only in her own mind. When she’s not writing romantic adventure novels, she reads voraciously, tweets compulsively, and fangirls over a TV show based on her favorite book series. Tricia earned her BA in Creative Writing from The University of Tampa and her MFA in Writing Popular Fiction from Seton Hill University. Her favorite authors include Diana Gabaldon, J.R. Ward, Susan Elizabeth Phillips, Karen Robards, and Johanna Lindsey. She lives in Southwest Florida with two very spoiled dogs. Follow Tricia on Twitter and Instagram @tricialeedom